Hospice is specialized care for individuals with a life-limiting illness or injury, who have six months or less to live, and their families. Hospice services involves medical care to manage pain and symptoms, as well as emotional and spiritual support through the end of life journey.
Hospice care can be provided in a patient’s own home, a hospital, personal care home or skilled nursing community. The goal of hospice care is to allow for a peaceful passing in a comfortable and familiar setting with loved ones near. Hospice is a holistic approach, addressing not only physical needs, but emotional, social and spiritual needs as well.
An interdisciplinary team of a physician, nurses, therapists, chaplain, social worker, aides and volunteers work together to provide hospice services.
Hospice services can include:
- Skilled nursing care
- Medical social services
- Counseling services, including nutritional, spiritual and bereavement
- Physician services
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Help with personal care
- Volunteers to provide companionship and respite for caregivers
- Medications, medical supplies and equipment
- Short-term stay in a hospital or skilled nursing community for symptom control and respite
Hospice care is covered by most major insurances, including Medicare and Medicaid.
At WRC Senior Services, home care is provided by In Home Solutions. For more information, please call 1-800-972-9363.